Posts tagged "Received"

126 One Fund Boston Applications Received So Far as Deadline Looms

As of Wednesday, 126 complete One Fund Boston applications had been submitted—a considerable increase as only a handful had been turned in a month ago, when fund administrators urged victims to apply. “The applications will continue to be delivered throughout the day and up to the June 15 deadline. The submissions are being sent primarily via special overnight courier with some submissions coming in via U.S. mail. Most of the submitted applications are complete—those claimants whose applications are deficient are being contacted immediately as soon as the deficiency is determined,” Camille Biros, deputy administrator of the One Fund, told Patch. While One Fund Boston administrator Ken Feinberg has repeatedly said that no amount of money will heal all the scars left from the bombings, the more than $ 45 million raised as of Wednesday morning will be distributed to many survivors. “There was a tremendous outreach effort by the One Fund staff and the mayor’s office as well as MOVA [Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance] to reach all potential claimants and encourage them to submit their claims. We are confident that we will receive claims for all of those individuals who were physically injured and from the families of the deceased,” Biros said. She characterized the increase in submissions during the last few days as “absolutely typical” of compensation funds for survivors and victims of events such as the Aurora, CO shooting, 9/11 attacks and the Virginia Tech shooting. Funds are scheduled to start being distributed on June 30, with the three families who lost a loved one to receive around $ 1 million each.  Next, those who suffered double amputations or more will receive funds, then single amputees, then those who required an overnight hospital stay. The final protocol for dispersing funds can be viewed on the One Fund site. Downloadable claim forms are available through the One Fund Boston website. Victims can read and download a Frequently Asked Questions section about One Fund Boston for filing claims. Help with completing One Fund forms is available by calling 866-298-2951 or visiting the One Fund Boston website.  SOUTH END PATCH: Facebook | Twitter | E-mail Updates  South End Patch

Read more...

Posted by Massachusetts Legal Resources - June 14, 2013 at 11:43 am

Categories: Arrests   Tags: , , , , ,

South End’s McKinley Among Schools That Received Suspicious Letters

One South End School, the McKinley school, was among the Boston public schools that received suspicious letters late last week. As of Friday afternoon the Boston Police Department had collected 24 suspicious letters sent to Boston public schools, according to BPDnews.com. “There does not appear to be any reason why any particular schools received letters, and it is possible that others have yet to arrive. The letters all appear to be from the same sender and have the same postmarked Texas address. The investigation is ongoing,” the BPDnews.com posting stated. Boston Police increased presence at schools across the city on Thursday and Friday, and police have said there is no credible physical threat. The letters did not contain any dangerous substances. The following schools received the letters: Adams Elementary SchoolBeethoven Elementary SchoolBoston Community Leadership AcademyBoston International High SchoolBoston Latin AcademyCharlestown High SchoolCommunity Academy of Science and HealthDorchester AcademyEdison K-8 SchoolFenway High SchoolGardner Pilot AcademyHenderson Elementary SchoolIrving Middle SchoolMather Elementary SchoolMcCormack Middle SchoolMcKinley South End AcademyMurphy K-8 SchoolO’Bryant School of Mathematics and ScienceO’Donnell Elementary SchoolOhrenberger SchoolQuincy Upper SchoolRoger Clap Innovation SchoolRussell Elementary SchoolTobin K-8 School SOUTH END PATCH: Facebook | Twitter | E-mail Updates South End Patch

Read more...

Posted by Massachusetts Legal Resources - June 10, 2013 at 11:11 am

Categories: Arrests   Tags: , , , , , , ,

Police: Boston Schools Received Suspicious Letters

Boston Police are investigating several suspicious letters sent to different Boston Public Schools today, according to a statement from police. The letters contained “threatening and disturbing” content, said police, but contained no dangerous subtances. Police said the letters were addressed to public schools in different areas of the city and were all postmarked from Texas.  Police did not specify which schools received the letters.  “Boston Police are collecting the letters and will investigate the source,” police said. “We do not know of any credible threat to our schools.” Police said that school officials will continue to isolate any letters with a Texas address, and that police will increase their presence at schools in the following days and weeks.  “While we remain vigilant and are taking appropriate action, we reiterate there is no credible physical threat and the letters did not contain any substances,” police said in the statement. “The safety of our students and school personnel is our top priority.” All families with children enrolled in Boston Public Schools have been contacted through its automated phone message system. You can read the statement in its entirety here.  South End Patch

Read more...

Posted by Massachusetts Legal Resources - June 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Categories: Arrests   Tags: , , , , ,

20 Complete One Fund Boston Claims Received So Far

One Fund Boston administrators have received 20 completed claims as of early Thursday, as the June 15 deadline to submit claims quickly approaches. Last week One Fund Boston Administrator Kenneth Feinberg urged victims to submit claims, saying there had been only a few complete claims submitted. “We have received 20 completed claims to date. This is consistent with the rate of receipt for other programs we have administered – as we get closer to the deadline the numbers will increase dramatically,” said Camille Biros, Deputy Administrator of the Fund. “The intent of the Fund is to complete the reviews and to begin issuing payments as quickly as possible.” Biros added that Feinberg will meet with any potential claimant who wishes a face-to-face meeting with him. Funds are scheduled to start being distributed on June 30, with the three families who lost a loved one to receive around $ 1 million.  Next, those who suffered double amputations or more would receive funds, then single amputees, then those who required an overnight hospital stay. The final protocol for dispersing funds can be viewed on the One Fund site. Downloadable claim forms are available through the One Fund Boston website. Victims can read and download a Frequently Asked Questions section about One Fund Boston for filing claims. Help with completing One Fund forms is available by calling 866-298-2951 or going to the One Fund Boston website.  SOUTH END PATCH: Facebook | Twitter | E-mail UpdatesD South End Patch

Read more...

Posted by Massachusetts Legal Resources - May 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Categories: Arrests   Tags: , , , ,