Governor Deval Patrick and Police Commissioner Ed David (Speaking for Mayor Tom Menino) have extended the “Shelter in Place” recommendation to all of Boston.
“We’re asking people to shelter in place. In other words, to stay indoors with their doors locked and not to open their door for anyone other than a properly identified law enforcement officer,” said Patrick in a press conference in Watertown this morning.
The order is an extension of the previous shelter recommendation, which included Watertown, Waltham, Newton, Belmont, Cambridge and Allston/Brighton. The new order means there are approximately 935,000 people are now locked in their homes.
“Please understand we have an armed and dangerous person(s) still at large and police actively pursuing every lead in this active emergency event. Please be patient and use common sense until this person(s) are apprehended,” read a statement from the mayor’s office.
The construction at 8-10 Taylor Street will go on, decided the South End Landmarks Commission on Tuesday night.
The wooden home is only one of two in the South End. It has faced controversy in the neighborhood since construction started several weeks ago, had its stop work order lifted after the commission’s review. The stop work order had been imposed due to the homeowner and contractor’s decision to take down an extra wall during the demolition process. That demolished east wall will be rebuilt based on preservation’s standards, the commission decided.
“The mistake was that you didn’t call when the wall had to come down,” said commission chair Christie Gamp. “I can’t believe knowing the contentiousness of this project and the neighbors that that didn’t happen… It’s unbelievable for the neighbors and all we’ve worked for and to feel like we’re blindsided,” said Christie Gamp.